The official blogsite for Marilyn's swim around the island of Manhattan, scheduled for July 12, 2014.
Welcome to my Manhattan Island Marathon swim website. For those of you who don't know me, I swam Lake Ontario the easy way in 1983 and the hard way in 1984 (details on the Solo Swims of Ontario website). I “came out of retirement" to swim the English Channel (EC) in 2011 (www.englishchannel2011.blogspot.com). Last year I become the oldest Canadian to swim the strait of Catalina in California.
This year I will be swimming the Manhattan Island Marathon Swim (MIMS) on July 12, a distance of 40 km. This is a tide and current assisted amateur race with a time cut off of 9 hours 30 minutes. http://nycswim.org/Event/Event.aspx?Event_ID=2416 By completing the Manhattan race, I hope to become the first Canadian to complete the Triple Crown of open water swimming. The other 2 swims are the English Channel and the Catalina Strait. http://openwaterpedia.com/index.php?title=Triple_Crown_of_Open_Water_Swimming
I am pleased to be able to use this opportunity to raise money for the Good Shepherd Centres in Hamilton. They run a network of shelters and services for troubled youth, abused women and children, the dying, the mentally and physically challenged, the hungry and the homeless. They strive to support people through crisis and help them re-establish healthy and productive lives. They have been very good to my patients over the years and for this I am grateful. Please support my swim by donating to the Good Shepherd Centres. Thank you.
Friday, 30 August 2013
Marilyn`s story of the Catalina swim
When the sun came up at 6:30 my son (who was a hero paddling expertly all night) told me that I was more than halfway. I could see the Palos Verdes hills clearly. It was at that point that I knew I had a good chance of making it. I knew the sun would warm me up, which it did. After it got light, my pacers jumped in one at a time for an hour each. The water was the most beautiful blue I had ever seen. Mind you, it is 3,000 feet deep. There were lots of little fish and I saw a salp. I got lots of brief stings from loose stingers from Jellyfish. Never did see a whole one. No shark sightings either.
The end took about 4 hours. It was a nail biter, especially for those on board. The current and the wind worked together to push me west and I almost missed Point Vicente. The boat was pointed almost 90 degrees to the line I was supposed to swim. I had to sprint the last 3 hours and gulp my feeds in 10 seconds. Fortunately, the water temperature dropped to 65 degrees and numbed my aching shoulders and I was able to sprint. I pulled into the kelp just in the nick of time before I got swept around Point Vincente. Unfortunately I had to swim another half kilometer to get to some rocks that were smooth enough to land on in the surf. The chief observer, Forrest, swam in with me to keep me sprinting and to negotiate the kelp and rocks. Thank you! My other 2 boys and Frances, my trainer, hiked down a 1000 foot cliff to meet me at the finish. Final unofficial time was 14 hours 24 minutes. I am very happy with this time. I swam faster than my body wanted to go!
We saw dolphins playing in our boat`s wake and seals bobbing on our way back to the marina.
A special thank you to my family and pacers Deb, Thie and Kim. Thank you to Andrea for blogging. I'd like to especially thank Gary who joined the team yesterday to paddle for me after my other son got sick. Gary quit smoking to come on the swim! Thank you to Chris the assistant observer who was very helpful to me before the swim and to the crew during the swim. And last but not least, Captain David and the crew of the Outrider who were superbly organized, professional, friendly and only slept 3 hours before my swim and go out on another swim in 5 hours. 9 in a row!
Here`s the link for the video of the ending. http://youtu.be/aJx9KYVOpe0
If I have inspired you, please support me by donating to the Good Shepherd centres. Link below.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.